What is the role of probiotics in human health?
Saccharomyces Boulardii was initially identified as a unique yeast type, while experts are now referred to as cerevisiae (baker’s yeast). It is a powerful probiotic and has been used in medicine since ancient times. It is most commonly used for the treatment and prevention of diarrhea, especially infectious types such as rotavirus diarrhea in children, diarrhea induced by the taking of gastrointestinal “bad” bacteria in adults, so-called traveler diarrhea and diarrhea associated with tube feeding. Where Boulardii is most commonly used today is in combination with the antibiotics.
Saccharomyces Boulardii is one of the most potent probiotics. These are friendly organisms that help fight other bacteria and fungi that can cause severe disease in the intestines.
In which cases we use Saccharomyces Boulardii?
– Diarrhea. Studies have shown that the use of Saccharomyces probiotik can prevent diarrhea in specific patient groups. For example, people with feeding tubes. Likewise, it has a significant effect on acute diarrhea in newly born babies, and significantly reduces the duration of diarrhea in children with this persistent problem
– Rotaviral diarrhea. Studies have shown that giving Saccharomyces Boulardii to infants and children can shorten the duration of diarrhea caused by rotavirus in about 1 day.
– Clostridium difficile. Taking Boulardia with antibiotics seems to help prevent the re-occurrence of Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea in combination with antibiotics. However, experts do not recommend this probiotic to avert the first episodes.
– Helicobacter pylori. Saccharomyces Boulardii help in the treatment of this infection. Taking probiotics also helps prevent side effects such as diarrhea and nausea that occur with standard H. pylori treatment.
– Diarrhea related to HIV. Probiotic Boulardii reduces HIV-related diarrhea.
– Traveler’s diarrhea. Taking Saccharomyces Boulardii seems to prevent the shedding of passengers.
There are indications that Boulardii can positively affect the impairment of some chronic diseases, however, for that, there is still not enough reliable information.
– Amoeba infection (amebiasis). Early research suggests that taking Boulardii oral with antibiotics reduces diarrhea and stomach pain in people with infection.
– Crohn’s disease. It can reduce the number of bowel movements in people with Crohn’s disease. Some previous studies suggest that taking this probiotic together with mesalamine can help people suffering from this disease for shorter remissions, while Boulardii does not help people with Crohn’s disease to remain in remission for longer.
– Cystic fibrosis. It does not reduce the yeast infection in the digestive tract of people with cystic fibrosis.
– IBS Syndrome (irritable bowel). The therapy involving this probiotic improves the quality of life in people with IBS predominant or mixed type of diarrhea. But it seems that Saccharomyces Boulardii does not improve most of the IBS symptoms, such as stomach pain, urgency, or bloating.
– Icterus in children. Newborns often get hepatitis immediately after birth due to a high level of bilirubin. The treatment of Saccharomyces Boulardii to newly born babies can prevent it and reduce the need for phototherapy. However, the success rate of this therapy does not carry large numbers. However, it is not known whether this probiotic minimizes the risk.
– Ulcerative colitis. Analyzes are linked to Saccharomyces Boulardii with a standard mesalamine therapy that can reduce symptoms in people with mild to moderate ulcerative colitis.
It is necessary to perform intense laboratory and in vivo analyzes to demonstrate the potential power in the treatment of some different forms of cancer, lymphoma, cholesterol, and many other severe conditions.
What are the side effects of taking Boulardii probiotics, and when we need to be careful?
Saccharomyces Boulardii is safe for oral use in adults even in the period of up to 15 months. In the side effects, we can include unpleasant gases in some people and very rarely fungal infections that can spread through the bloodstream and cause some severe troubles.
The usage for children must be dosed correctly and under the doctor’s supervision. In the right doses, they will not make any bad health differences.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding. It is still unknown fact whatever if this probiotic is safety for taking if pregnant or breastfeeding.
A weakened immune system. It can cause fungus, which is the presence of yeast in the blood. It is difficult to define the actual number of events of Saccharomyces Boulardii associated with fungemia. However, the risk is most significant for people who are very ill or who have weakened the immune system.
Yeast allergy: People can be allergic to products that contain Saccharomyces Boulardii, and they are best avoided.