According to one recent research, the thyme essential oil and its ingredient thymol, have powerful antiseptic properties. Thymol is very often included in a lot of mouthwashes and antiseptic wipes.
There was also another study which has shown that thyme soothes pain. Furthermore, thyme oil has been traditionally used to relieve pain for hundreds of years.
The findings of another study, conducted at Iran’s Babol University of Medical Sciences, have confirmed that thyme is also an extremely powerful pain – relieving herb, and it also alleviates menstrual pain even better than ibuprofen.
About 84 women University students, who had reported difficult menstrual cycle, participated in the study. They were between 18 and 24 years old, and all of them suffered from primary dysmenorrhea.
It is the painful cramping during the menstruation, which is usually accompanied by symptoms like nausea, dizziness, backache, and headaches as well. Secondary dysmenorrhea is manifested by menses pain that is also related to another underlying condition.
Also, the primary dysmenorrhea happens within two years of the beginning of menses and women feel no pelvic pain during the other parts of the monthly cycle.
Some of the most important uses of thyme essential oil are:
Rheumatism appears as a result of arthritis, the improper or obstructed circulation, or gout, the increased concentration of toxins like uric acid in the bloodstream. In both of the cases, thyme essential oil is extremely effective. This is because it has diuretic properties and it removes toxins through the urine. It also acts as a stimulant, activating the circulation.
The potent antiseptic properties that it has can quickly treat wounds and sores, as well as prevent infections. The main reason for this capacity is the presence of some components, like Caryophyllene and Camphene.
It has the ability to normalize the blood pressure by raising it, so it is very useful for people that have low blood pressure and fall unconscious and feel sluggish.
Thyme essential oil also boosts circulation and strengthens the immune system. In addition, it supports the health of the nervous heat and digestive systems, as well as muscles and the skin.
Some additional uses of thyme essential oil are the following:
- The ingredient thymol protects, as well as boosts the percentage of healthy fats in cell membranes;
- The consumption of it will raise the DHA (docosahexaenoic acid, an omega-3 fatty acid) levels in the brain, as well as in the kidney, and heart cell membranes;
- Thymol, which is a chemical constituent of thyme essential oil, boosts the blood flow to the skin. In that way, it accelerates the healing of wounds and skin problems;
- It also destroys nail fungus;
- It kills parasites;
- The oil treats urinary tract and bladder infections and the diuretic properties that it has, improve its effectiveness;
- You should pour some of it on a hot compress and apply it on the affected areas, in order to treat sciatica, gout, rheumatic pain, sprains, muscular aches and pains, sports injuries, arthritis and so on;
- Add it to a sitz bath or massage in order to stimulate menstruation for weak or missing periods;
- Another use is for treating Candida and vaginitis;
- You can mix it with lavender, rosemary, and cedarwood and add it to grapeseed and jojoba carrier oils, in order to treat alopecia area by massaging the scalp. You should repeat daily for several months;
- In cases of Athlete’s foot, you should apply it neat or undiluted, but apply some fatty cream on the area before, in order to protect the skin;
- The herb thyme is also common ingredient in natural hand sanitizers;
- It can also be used as a hair tonic or in a face wash, in order to treat acne and warts;
- In order to soothe the insect stings and bites, you should crush the fresh herb or use diluted oil and apply it on the area;
- You should use 1% solution as an antibacterial wash for fresh produce;
- Thyme will also keep insects away from your home;
- It is more advisable to always use the herb in combinations, in order to prevent irritations. For instance, you can mix it with lavender, pine, lemon, bergamot, grapefruit, and rosemary essential oil.