Which part of your oasis is dangerous for health?
Houseplants are great accessories for our homes. They bring colors and refreshment; also every room looks more beautiful if it’s full of green leaves, plants, and flowers. If you spend some time in gardening than you should know which herbs we can use in our kitchen, for salads or delicious tea, which flower will smell the most, but also should know the houseplants that could be harmful to our health. We are cultivating so many species of houseplants that are more or less toxic, and we don’t even know about it. A lot of them can cause skin irritation, stomach problems, nausea or even worse, a real poisoning. That is why it’s quite essential to know which houseplant you should keep away from your pets but more, from children. Children are prone to experiments and doing many forbidden things while they are growing up. So, chewing leaves of mum’s favorite houseplant is something we all did at one point.
Which houseplant is toxic?
If you like hour home to be green and exotic, this is what you have to learn about houseplants that need to be located higher on the shelf and windows, to keep your family safe.
Easter Lily. This beautiful flower can’t cause some severe problems in humans, but it can be deadly for cats. If a cat eats this houseplant can lose kidney function and experience some severe health damage even death. Keep it away from your pet.
Daffodils. One more beautiful spring flower that is often mistaken for onion (its blubs). It is an outdoor plant, but for faster blooming, people can keep it in the house, too. Some cases indicate that this plant causes high blood pressure, stomach irritation, problems with the heartbeat, and even death.
Dumb Cane. This houseplant grows in low-light conditions. It is a popular accessory in our homes. But you probably didn’t know – eating this plant leads to the tongue swallowing and blocking the respiratory ways. So, people usually can’t breed, and it can be hazardous for both, humans and pets.
English ivy must in larger quantities causes serious problems, with the symptoms like skin irritation, burning throat after eating, fever and rash. Place it somewhere higher, out of reach of children and pets.
Philodendron, same as its cousin Pothos, is a widely used houseplant in the world. But they are toxic to humans and pets. Eating cause lip-burning and swelling, same with a tongue, and throat; further comes vomiting and diarrhea. The houseplant also grows like Ivy, in direction to the ground. So set it to some higher window or shelf, away from the children and pets range.
This houseplant is very exotic and favorite for the front door area. It is one of the oldest living plants on earth, probably survived so long because animals couldn’t eat it. All parts of the plants are poisonous. The houseplant affects vomiting and diarrhea but also a liver failure.